Monday, September 19, 2011

3D Animal Chocolate Cookies

Some time ago, I found these great "3D Zoo Animal Cookie Cutters" (by Nordic Ware). I finally got a chance to test them. They work great. You can use them with lots of different cookie doughs - sugar cookies, vanilla cookies, chocolate, even a savory batter with cheese. Just choose your favorite one. Decorating those cookies can be a nice craft for a birthday party. I did not decorate mine as a) I didn't have time and b) I prefer my cookies pure - I have not developed a liking for heavily-decorated American-style cookies yet (and I doubt that I ever will.)
Furthermore, I doubt that I will actually eat any of my cookies. Not because I don't like them; I do, very much indeed. But LittleGrouch helped prepare them and he is under the impression that they are all his. He insisted that HubbyGrouch eat one but so far, HubbyGrouch managed to postpone it (he is not one for cookies). Maybe I can pinch one while LittleGrouch is at preschool.


Ingredients (for 15 3D cookies):
400 g all-purpose flour
150 g confectioner's sugar
2 eggs
2 tbsp rum (optional)
200 g unsalted butter
2 dashes salt
1/4 cup cocoa powder

Combine all ingredients until you obtain a smooth dough. Cover with plastic wrap an chill in the fridge for 1 hour. Preheat oven to 390F. Line 2-3 baking sheets with parchment paper. Working in badges, on a lightly floured surface, roll dough out to a thickness of 4-5 millimeters. Dip cookie cutters in flour, then cut out cookies and place on baking sheets. Bake cookies for 10-12 minutes. Let cool on cookie racks. When the cookies have cooled down, assemble them, using a little (chocolate flavored) icing to "glue" the legs to the bodies. Decorate cookies to your liking.

9 comments:

  1. Hi First time here - These 3D animal cookies look fabulous - wonder if I would want my kids to eat them :)) look forward to the recipe - you have a lovely blog! Following you :)
    If you have a moment, please do hop by mine and I hope you will like it well enough to follow back cheers, priya :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are SO cute! I never heard of a 3D cookie cutter, but what good is it if you can't eat the cookies! :) Good luck getting a taste.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is SO cool! My kids would love making and decorating those...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Adorable and SO eatable. How can you not "closet" one or two away for yourself?!

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow check those out, so cute!! i'm going to have to find this cookie cutter before thanksgiving, my boyfriends nephews will LOVE this!

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are adorable. I love them to bits. My kids are older and I still want to try these so badly.

    ReplyDelete