Thursday, August 4, 2011

Yellow Wax Beans with Dill Cream

I love to eat green (and yellow) beans. They are one of my favorite vegetables. Unfortunately, for HubbyGrouch, they are the opposite. He does eat them but usually not without some grumpy remark. At this time of year, beans are available fresh on farmers market in our area and I just can't help myself buying them. (I guess I just have to make a second vegetable side for HubbyGrouch.) When I searched through my recipe clippings (or rather my database thereof), I found this delicious sounding side dish recipe. And I, as well as MissChubbyCheeks) liked it a lot. HubbyGrouch's comment was that this was even worse than the regular side of green beans and that he never wanted to eat this again. Alright, just for me than. I served the beans with mashed potatoes and pork chops. For me, it would have been just fine to only serve them with potatoes. That would make a great vegetarian meal with two of my favorite ingredients.




Ingredients:
500 g yellow wax beans (or green beans or a mix of both), ends snipped off and halved
salt
200 g cream
75 g crème fraîche (or sour cream)
2-3 tsp Dijon mustard
1-2 tbsp chopped fresh dill weed (or 2 tsp dried dill weed)
pepper

Bring about 1/2 inch salted water to a boil. Add beans and cook for 10-15 minutes, depending how soft you like them. (I prefer them on the soft side.) Drain. Whisk together cream, crème fraîche, and mustard. Heat, but don't bring to a boil. Add dill and season with salt and pepper. Add beans and heat through. Serve with (mashed) potatoes and meat, if desired.

2 comments:

  1. I love buying these at the farmer's market as well! they are so wonderful simply roasted with olive oil and sea salt! Too bad your hubby doesn't like them, and amazing he didn't like them prepared this way...they sound delicious! Who wouldn't love some good fresh beans in a creamy sauce ;)? I would be licking my plate clean!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I dunno - it sounds delicious! My father is a picky eater and if he comes to my place, I always have bread, peanut butter and jelly for him...

    ReplyDelete