Monday, August 22, 2011

Spaghetti with Zucchini Mustard Sauce

When I saw Charlie's (over at Sweet Salty Spicy) recent post about Creamy Dijon Zucchini, I was reminded of a very similar recipe that I had prepared before. Usually, this recipe is prepared with sliced zucchini that left intact. This time, however, I had frozen zucchini that I wanted to use up so I thought I just try pureeing the sauce, as frozen zucchini often doesn't hold its shape well and turns out floppy and soggy. Plus, the pureed sauce is great to have with spaghetti. I liked the result and so did HubbyGrouch, although he had been getting tired of too much zucchini during the last weeks.


Ingredients:
1 pound spaghetti
350 g (12 oz) frozen zucchini, sliced
350 g (12 oz) frozen yellow squash, sliced
1 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp dried thyme
salt
pepper
2 tsp chicken bouillon powder
250 ml light cream
3-4 tbsp Dijon mustard
125 g Cheddar (or cheese of you choice)
4-5 small tomatoes, seeded and diced

Cook pasta as per instructions, drain, reserving 1/2 cup of cooking liquid. Bring zucchini, garlic, thyme, salt, pepper, and chicken bouillon to a boil. Simmer until zucchini is soft, about 8-10 minutes. Remove from heat and puree the mixture, then add cream, mustard, and cheese. Stir until cheese is melted. Season to taste with salt, pepper, and mustard. Stir in tomatoes and serve over pasta.

2 comments:

  1. I'm up for any recipe that has zucchini in it in a hidden kinda way. Dudette has zucchini spidey senses and refuses to eat the stuff. I try sneaking it into anything. This might just work. Many thanks!

    ReplyDelete