Monday, August 22, 2011

Jamaica: Rich Rasta Brownies

Alright, I know what you must be thinking (and Kim's comment, which was posted when I only had the picture up here, shows that I'm right) but I can assure you that these brownies do not contain any illegal substances. Though I have to tell you that my cookbook explicitly mentions that the original recipe for these brownies does contain marihuana leaves and flowers. As to the outcome of the recipe (my version I mean), well, it wasn't all that great. I was very skeptical from the beginning because these brownies, being a rastafari recipe, do not contain any eggs. They turned out rather crumbly, so I would definitely add 1 or 2 eggs to the batter. As for the taste, I am not a big fan of molasses. The smell of pure molasses almost makes me sick. However, that taste is not very strong in the baked brownies. It was an interesting recipe to try but I don't think I would make it again. There are much better brownie recipes out there.

This recipe will be linked to the "Cook Around the Globe" - August 2011 event.

   

Ingredients:
225 g Margarine
175 g brown sugar
50 g cocoa powder (or dark chocolate, grated)
150 g molasses
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp allspice
130 g coconut milk
160 g whole wheat flour
2 tsp baking powder
175 g walnuts, chopped

Preheat oven to 250F. Butter an 8" by 12" baking dish. Whip margarine until creamy. Slowly add sugar, mix until smooth. Heat cocoa powder, molasses, vanilla extract, allspice, and coconut milk over low heat, stirring constantly. Mix flour and baking powder. Alternating between both, add coconut milk mix and flour to the margarine. Stir in the nuts. Pour batter into the baking dish and bake for 45-55 minutes. Let cool and cut into squares.

12 comments:

  1. Hmm... Does that mean what I think it means???

    ReplyDelete
  2. @ Kim: Not my version! (But the cookbook states in the recipe that the original does, of course.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you want to give them some "buzz" without getting the DEA on your case, try sprinkling your brownies them with Szechuan buttons, The bright yellow petals show up nicely against the deep brown brownies and give a little tingle on the tongue. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. So love brownies, I made some this week, will have to try your recipe next time, thanks for the share.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Unusual recipe and very rich-I will need to try making these, Yum and thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Interesting recipe...had never heard of these....

    ReplyDelete
  7. How interesting...I like the different recipe you have going on here

    ReplyDelete
  8. Maybe they don't have to taste so great when you add a little weed??? Too bad they weren't worth repeating.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The recipe sounds interesting, sorry it didn't turn out more to your liking but it's always fun to try new things as you never know when you'll find a real gem.

    Lisa~~
    Cook Lisa Cook

    ReplyDelete
  10. At least you gave them a good try.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I always wondered what these were! Thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete