Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Turkey: Lubyi Bi Zayt (Braised Green Beans with Tomatoes)

I recently mentioned HubbyGrouch's dislike of green beans. A few days after that, he drew my attention to a New York Times article about Turkish-style braised green beans and other vegetables. I read the article, the recipes sounded great, so I jumped at the opportunity to include a green bean dish in my meal plan. I found recipes in some of my cookbooks similar to those from the newspaper article. So here is my version of green beans with tomatoes. I liked the result and - somewhat to my surprise - so did HubbyGrouch. Now I know what to do when I crave green beans! I served the beans with homemade tsatsiki and flatbread.

And now, here are two blog hops that I am participating in. Both are weekly events and everybody is welcome to join in. There is no registration.

Presto Pasta Nights
Send in your pasta dish by Thursday and check out the roundup on Friday.


The Great Recipe Exchange
For this week's exchange, enter a dessert that you want to share.





Ingredients:
Beans
3 tbsp olive oil
1 large onion, minced
3 garlic cloves, mashed
500 g green beans, ends snipped off
1  14.5-oz can diced tomatoes
125 ml water
1/2 tsp sugar
salt
black pepper
1 1/2 tbsp chopped fresh mint
1 1/2 tbsp chopped fresh parsley

Tsatsiki
1/2 cucumber (about 200 g), seeded and coarsely grated
salt
350 g low fat greek yogurt
1 tbsp lemon juice
2 tbsp chopped fresh mint
2 garlic cloves, mashed
salt and pepper

Flatbread
300 g all-purpose flour
200 g whole wheat flour
2 tsp baking powder
2 tsp active dry yeast
1 1/3 tsp salt
2/3 tsp sugar
100 g yogurt
100 ml lukewarm milk
100 ml lukewarm water
50 ml vegetable oil
1 large egg
1-2 tbsp evaporated milk, for basting
sesame seeds

To prepare the flatbread, mix together both flours, baking powder, and yeast. Add salt, sugar, yogurt, milk, water, oil, and egg. With the dough hook of the mixer, knead until a smooth dough forms, about 5 minutes. (Or use your bread machine to prepare the dough.) Cover the dough and keep in a warm place until volume has increased visibly, about 30 minutes. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper. Dust dough with flour, knead on a lightly floured work surface, then divide into two parts. Roll out each part into a 1/2 in thick circle. Place on baking sheets, baste with evaporated milk, and sprinkle with sesame seeds. Cover and let rest until volume has visibly increased. Preheat oven to 400F. Bake breads one after the other, for 20-25 minutes. (If you have a convection oven, you can bake them together.) Slide bread with parchment onto a cooling rack and let cool down completely. For the tsatsiki, place cucmber in a strainer, salt lightly, and let drain for 15 minutes. Squeeze out water. Mix cucmber with remaining ingredients. Season to taste with salt and pepper. If the tsatsiki is too dense, stir in a little cream or milk. Keep in the fridge until serving. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onion and cook until soft, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook for another 30 seconds. Add beans, tomatoes, water, and sugar. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, cover, and simmer for 40-45 minutes, until the beans are soft. If there is too much liquid, remove lid after 35 minutes to thicken sauce. Stir in herbs.

7 comments:

  1. I like this simply meal and recipe of your, bet my hubby will drool over this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love green beans! I cant wait to try it!

    Cheers,
    Dawnie

    ReplyDelete
  3. My mom and I would looove this!!! Thanks for sharing the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The green beans look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'll have to try these sometime, my girlfriend absolutely loves green beans.
    I just liked you face book page as well and buzzed this post :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am always on a look out for new ways of serving green beans because my hubby love it. This looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete