Monday, August 15, 2011

Chocolate Zucchini Cake

I recently joined The Secret Recipe Club and this was the first time I participated. I was assigned Lauren's blog Healthy Indulgences. Lauren adapts regular baking/dessert recipes for a gluten-free and sugar-free diet. If you are interested in such a diet, I really recommend to check out her blog. She also has a few low-carb chicken recipes available. After perusing her blog for some time, I finally settled on baking a Healthy Grain-Free Chocolate Zucchini (or Apple) Bread. Except that I re-adapted it to "regular" ingredients. I know there are lots of recipes available for chocolate zucchini bread, but if I had chosen another one, it wouldn't have been in the spirit of the Club. The whole point is to chose a recipe from a particular blog. The result was okay. It was the first time I made any kind of zucchini bread. I think I will try again while zucchini is in season.

Ingredients:
 3 tbsp cocoa powder
200 g all-purpose flour
140 g almond meal
1 dash salt
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
90 g vegetable shortening, melted
100 g semi-sweet chocolate, melted
1/2 cup sugar
4 large eggs
1 1/2 tbsp rum extract
175 g grated zucchini
butter and bread crumbs for mold

Preheat oven to 350F. Butter a bundt mold and dust with bread crumbs. Set aside. Mix together cocoa powder, flour, almond meal, salt, baking soda, and baking powder. In another bowl, Whist together shortening, melted chocolate, sugar, eggs, and rum extract. Add dry ingredients and mix together. Stir in zucchini. Pour batter into bundt mold and bake for about 45 minutes, until a toothpick, inserted into the cake, comes out clean. Let cake rest in mold for 10 minutes, then turn onto a cooling rack and let cool down completely. Optional, brush cake with melted chocolate and sprinkle with chocolate sprinkles.

23 comments:

  1. Sounds delicious.

    If you haven't already, I'd love for you to check out my SRC recipe this month: Cilantro Lime Chicken

    Lisa~~
    Cook Lisa Cook

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry it didn't work out. Super healthy recipes tend to stump me too, I'm just not used to it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yum! We're loaded down with zucchini right now, so this would make quick work of most of it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It might have been the sugar that was the problem. I looked at Lauren's recipe and it calls for 1-1/2 cups splenda (among other sugar options). When substituting back to sugar, you would want to use the same amount of real sugar as you would have splenda (1-1/2 cups). I see you used only 1/2 cup sugar. You really should try it again because chocolate zucchini bread is awesome! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have to agree, chocolate zucchini bread is great! I bet the sugar amount did have something to do with it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. @ Shelby and Tami: Thanks, but the sugar was definitely not the problem. The cake was sweet enough for me. By experience, I always reduce the amount of sugar from recipes. Also, I used semi-sweet chocolate instead of unsweetened, so there is more than just a 1/2 cup sugar in the cake.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The only thing that scares me about this recipe is the vegetable shortening. I think I'd substitute that w/ coconut oil.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks yummy...I really like chocolate zucchini cake! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Chocolate zucchini cake? Oh, I was searching for the recipe for a long time...thanks!!
    The picture looks great. So glad that I bumped into your blog!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Zucchini and choc into cake? wow, this is something I have not heard about but suppose creative in baking is amazing looking at the outcome in the cake.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, that looks darned tasty for a healthy cake! Thanks for sharing your great pick for the SRC~

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yuum!!! Because its got zucchini, its ok to eat more of it right? :D

    ReplyDelete
  13. lovely use of zucchini looks wonderful

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yum! This is the perfect solution for when the zucchini overload hits! I have always loved chocolate zucchini cake, and yours is lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I couldn`t believe how well chocolate and zucchini go together until I tried a bite of a cake like yours- it`s delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yiiipppppiiieeeee! One more way to use the zucchini abundance! I bet this will freeze well, too! Great work!
    Ginny

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a lovely way to add some decadence to zucchini!

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a coincidence - my neighbor was just telling me about a chocolate zucchini cake she made. With all the zucchini growing around here now, it's nice to have many options, especially a chocolate one! Looks terrific!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I have never tried a chocolate zucchini cake before. Looks fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  20. chocolate and zucchini are a great combo.Your cake looks delicious and I love the idea of the almond meal.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love chocolate zuchinni cake!

    Thanks for sharing this recipe

    Jennifer
    www.jennifersikora.com

    ReplyDelete