Friday, August 5, 2011

Catfish Sandwiches with Pickle Remoulade

I haven't had a fish sandwich in a really long time. In the North of Germany, they are actually considered "Fast Food" (yes, they are that common). I had some catfish in the freezer, so when I saw this recipe in Food & Wine, I just had to try it. Well, it didn't turn out as nice as I had thought. The dressing was great, though, but the fish didn't have much taste (granted, that was probably due to a sub-optimal quality of the fish and had nothing to do with the recipe), except a kind of earthy flavor which I didn't particular like. Next time, I would either sprinkle the fish with salt before dusting it with flour or mix the eggs with salt.  In addition (again my fault) I would definitely use a thinner bread next time. 




Ingredients:
2 catfish fillets, about 250 g each
1/2 cup cornmeal
1/2 cup bread crumbs
1/4 cup flour, plus more for dusting
1 1/2 tsp cajun seasoning
1/4 tsp sage
2 eggs
vegetable oil for frying

remoulade
1/2 low fat mayonnaise
2 tbsp minced celery
4 scallions, minced
1 big garlic clove, minced
1 tbsp capers, minced
1 tbsp Dijon mustard
1 tbsp sweet pickle relish
1 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
3/4 tsp smoked paprika

mixed greens
sliced radishes
rolls or mini baguette, split

For the remoulade, mix together all ingredients. Set aside. In a pie dish, mix together cornmeal, bread crumbs, flour, cajun seasoning, and sage. In another pie dish, whisk the eggs. Cut each fish fillet into 3 pieces. In a large skillet, heat 5-6 tbsp oil over medium-high heat. Dust the fish with flour, then dip into eggs, and then coat with the bread crumb mix. Cook the fish until it is cooked through, turning once, about 3-4 minutes per side. To assemble sandwiches, spread remoulade in both halves of the bread. Place some greens and radish slices on the bottom part of the bread, then add fish and cover with top half.

4 comments:

  1. Sounds like a southern vacation :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is always disappointing when a dish does not go as expected. But I like that you already know what you would do differently.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds great! I love catfish; to me the earthy taste is one of the pluses about it so this would most likely be something I would go nuts for :-) Thanks for sharing this! Hopefully next time you can get it made to where YOU love it

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum, sounds good, and you can normally find fresh catfish in stores now (it's a locally grown fish, so the quality should be quite good)

    ReplyDelete