Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Cayman Islands: Captain Morgan's Rum Cake

I was never crazy about pirates, treasure hunts, and romanticizing this lifestyle. Consequently, I had never heard of Captain Henry Morgan either. When I saw the recipe for this cake, I thought, well, a rum cake could be nice to bake for the "Cook Around the Globe" event. I went to the liquor store to get some rum and what did I see? Captain Morgan's rum - just like the name of the recipe. The cake is a nice, simple coffee cake. It was the first time I made a rum cake, so I wasn't sure how much rum to drizzle over it (the recipe didn't give an amount). I think I could have used more than I did. Also, the recipe called for a 2.5 l loaf pan, which I don't have. I decided to bake the cake in my 2 l bundt mold and use the remaining batter for muffins.

This recipe will be linked to the "Cook Around the Globe" - August 2011 event.

P.S. : This recipe just made the Top 9 on Foodbuzz. Thank you so much to everyone who buzzed it! (9/6/2011)

   


Ingredients:
380 g all purpose flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 dash salt
380 g soft butter
270 g sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
3 eggs
1 egg yolk
1 tbsp finely grated lemon zest
150 ml dark rum
150 ml cream
rum for drizzling

Preheat oven to 180°C (360F). Butter a 2 l bundt mold and three wells of a big muffin mold. Mix flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Mix butter and sugar until creamy. Add vanilla extract and eggs and egg yolk, one by one. Mix well, add lemon zest. Slowly flour mix, rum, and cream in turn. Mix until incorporated. Fill the muffin wells 2/3 with batter, pour remaining batter into bundt form. Bake Muffins for about 25 minutes and bundt cake for about 45-55 minutes. Let cool in mold for 5-10 minutes, then drizzle with rum while still warm. (I used 1-2 tsp rum for each muffin and 3 tbsp rum for the bundt.) Unmold muffins and bundt, and let cool on a cooling rack.

10 comments:

  1. Can't wait for the recipe! This sounds like my kind of cake!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum Rum Cakes my favorite. A bit of rum for the cake and the rest for me! That is my kind of cooking.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmmm, rum and cake. Sounds like the perfect combo to me! lol!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This recipe looks very tempting. Rum cakes are my weakness :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You had me at Captain Morgan. I actually like the idea of bonus muffins you can have before company arrives or I guess to make booze free for kids

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yum. Yum. Yum!

    Congrats on TOP 9!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. MMmm...I have a left over bottle of Captian Morgan's rum kicking about my liquor cabinet after a party...now I know exactly what to do with it! Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations on the top 9. This looks fantastic! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. oh those sweet little rum cakes look so good! I'd definitely give you a ahoy matey for a few of those tasty little cakes!

    ReplyDelete