Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Zucchini-Potato-Pancakes with Ricotta

I love any kind of "latkes". Mostly the traditional ones with potatoes, but I also make them with different vegetables. We usually had potato pancakes with apple sauce. Now, however, I prefer the savory version with sour cream. Sometimes I add some ham to the batter or pour the potato mix over some bacon in the skillet. Today's recipe is from Food & Wine magazine ("Zucchini-Ricotta Fritters"). As usual, I did not follow the recipe to the letter but made some changes. Potatoes were not part of the original recipe. I added them to make it a full meal. I increased the garlic a little as well as the ricotta, and I added Italian seasoning to the mix. Lastly, I used only a little bit of oil for frying instead of a 1/4 inch deep. I loved the outcome. Even HubbyGrouch, who is not a particular fan of latkes, said they were good. Even LittleGrouch ate a whole one.


Ingredients:
1 russet potato (about 450 g / 1 lb), peeled and finely shredded
2 medium zucchini (about 450 g / 1 lb), coarsely shredded
3 garlic cloves, pressed
1/2 of a medium onion, shredded
1 cup low-fat ricotta cheese
2 large eggs
2 tsp finely grated lemon zest
1 tbsp Italian seasoning
salt and black pepper
100 g (2/3 cup) all-purpose flour
olive oil
sour cream

Mix together zucchini, potatoes, garlic, onion, ricotta, eggs, lemon zest, Italian seasoning, 1 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp pepper, and flour. Adjust taste with salt and pepper. Heat about 1 tsp olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. For each pancake, drop 2 tbsp of batter into the skillet and flatten into a 3-inch circle. Cook for about 2 minutes per side, until golden brown. Serve pancakes with sour cream.

9 comments:

  1. I love the idea of using zucchini in your latkes - I, too love latkes. I don't often have them, but they are a real treat... My favorite is savory with sour cream...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely idea to have pancakes with zucchini. I usually make zucchini deep-fried balls which are not so healthy :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I should try this recipe sometime. Looks like really great dish.

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow this looks like a wonderful vegetarian starter/snack. Have bookmarked this for future reference :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. With piles of zucchini in the house, this has just risen to the top of the list, especially if it has the approval of the grouches! Many thanks for sharing the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this idea! Zucchini is so good, so why not use it like this! Can't wait to try!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wait, I am looking in the recipe and the picture and realizing that I made the same recipe few days ago.... so funny:)
    Love it, great addition to any meats or even without...I didn't take the photos......they were eaten to fast:)
    http://mywanderingspoon.wordpress.com/2011/07/28/burgers-peppers-grilling-perfection/

    ReplyDelete
  8. Buzzed you! Great use for zucchini.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great way to use zucchini! Love the recipe

    ReplyDelete