Monday, July 25, 2011

Wholewheat Cherry Oatmeal Cake

I like to bake and eat cakes that have lots of fruit in them. This weekend, tart cherries had finally arrived in the supermarket, so I grabbed enough for 2 cakes. I have made this cake before and I really like the oatmeal flavor. You can prepare this cake with sweet cherries if you don't like the tart ones. As an alternative to sprinkling the cake with old fashioned oats, you can use 2 tbsp oats plus 50 g grated coconut. (That's the original recipe but I'm not crazy about cococnut.)


Ingredients:
1 kg (tart) cherries
300 g soft unsalted butter or margarine
200 g sugar, plus 50 g for sprinkling
1 tbsp vanilla sugar or 1 tsp vanilla extract
4 large eggs
grated zest of 1 lemon
250 g instant oatmeal
200 g wholewheat flour
1 tsp baking powder
4 tsp rum (or rum extract)
4-5 tbsp old fashioned oats

Pit the cherries, let drain in a strainer. Preheat oven to 400F. Whisk together butter and 200 g sugar until creamy. Mix in eggs, lemon zest, and rum. Mix oatmeal, flour, and baking powder. Mix into egg-butter mixture. Line a large rimmed baking sheet (e.g. 11" x 17" or 12" x 15.5") with parchment paper or grease with butter. Spread batter onto baking sheet. Distribute cherries on top of batter. Sprinkle with remaining sugar and oats. Bake in the middle of the oven for 35-40 minutes, until golden brown. Let cool, then cut into about 20 pieces. Serve with whipped cream.

7 comments:

  1. Oh YUM! I love this! It's like a cobbler but upside down almost. I really really love this recipe! Saved and buzzed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So delicious! I see lots of cherry recipes lately, your is good. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum!! I love oatmeal in baked goods! This cake looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks delicious, with fresh cherries, and whole grain flour and oats. Just lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks incredible! I LOVE that it has whole wheat and oats. I would use the tart cherries - Buzzed this one!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fruit makes everything better. Such a tasty cake.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a yummy recipe! I love cherry toppings... and the oatmeal cake part sounds amazing!

    ReplyDelete