Thursday, July 28, 2011

Salmorejo (Cold Tomato Soup from Spain)

I love Gazpacho, so when I found this recipe for another tomato-based cold soup, I just had to try it. It turned out great. The recipe is from Bon Appetit. As usual, I made my adjustments and changes. The main changes are as follows. I used fresh and canned tomatoes instead of just fresh ones (just because I didn't have enough). I didn't have almond meal at home, so I used hazelnut meal instead. I didn't really taste the nuts though, so maybe it doesn't matter, unless you have a super-fine palate of course. To the egg and prosciutto toppings I added some cheese and freshly ground black pepper. I think those toppings could be really nice on a warm tomato soup in winter. I'll try to keep that in mind for the colder seasons.




Ingredients:
2 pounds ripe tomatoes, coarsely chopped
1  14.5 oz can diced tomatoes
1/4 cup bread crumbs
1/4 cup hazelnut meal
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
2 tbsp olive oil
cold water
chopped hard-boiled eggs
chopped black-forest prosciutto
chopped provolone cheese
freshly ground black pepper

Place fresh and canned tomatoes, bread crumbs, hazelnut meal, garlic, salt, pepper, vinegar, and oil in a pot or bowl. Puree until very smooth. Refrigerate for 3-4 hours. Add water if soup is too thick. Season to taste with salt, pepper, and vinegar. Ladle soup into bowls and top with cheese, prosciutto, egg, and freshly ground black pepper. Serve with your favorite crusty bread.

3 comments:

  1. Ooh, fabulous! Salmorejo... I've never heard of it but I'm glad you shared it with us :-)

    ReplyDelete