Saturday, July 30, 2011

Potato Tuna Salad

Today's dinner was - to my utter surprise - a huge success. Let me explain: HubbyGrouch - I assume like generations of former American public school students - has almost a physical reaction when I say the words "potato salad". This strong aversion, so I understand, is due to the mayonnaise loaded gooey tasteless "something" that's referred to as "potato salad" in school cafeterias nationwide. I do not have any personal experience with this, fortunately. I am used to homemade family-recipe potato salad which is pretty great. (And I love potatoes - I mentioned that a few times.) HubbyGrouch, on the other hand, is not very keen on potatoes anyway; except for raclette and potato gratin. Well, if you look at this week's meal plan, you will find a Colombian dish on it. So, I thought I was entitled to a potato dish, to satisfy my craving for home-style food as well. I almost said that when, with a slightly guilty conscience, I put the plate of potato salad in front of HubbyGrouch. I was a little surprised not to hear any mumbled complaints, but I left it at that. Halfway through the meal, I finally plucked up the courage to ask HubbyGrouch's opinion about the potatoes. Guess what? I was completely baffled when he exclaimed that this was the best potato salad he'd ever had and in fact he really LIKED the dish. I immediately (and secretly) resolved to make this dish once a week for the rest of the summer......no, just kidding, HubbyGrouch.




Ingredients:
6-7 medium white potatoes (about 900 g)
salt
2 tsp dried oregano (or 2 tbsp fresh)
2-3 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
4 1/2 tbsp red wine vinegar
black pepper
5 tbsp olive oil
1 big tomato, diced
1 small red onion, finely chopped
1 cans (300 g) tuna
2 hardboiled eggs

Boil the potatoes in salted water for 25-30 minutes, until soft but still firm. Drain, peel, and let cool. Whisk together oregano, parsley, vinegar, oil, 1 tsp salt, and 1/4 tsp black pepper. Drain tuna and mix with tomatoes and onion. Add 1/4 of the vinaigrette. Quarter the potatoes lengthwise, then cut into 1/2 inch thick slices. Mix with remaining vinaigrette. Slice eggs. Arrange potatoes, egg, and tuna on plates and serve.

4 comments:

  1. I love this recipe! I'll try it!!!
    Have a nice sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Très belle recette, moi aussi j'adore les pommes de terre! Bonne journée!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The potato salad with tuna looks simple, yet very delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The potato salad sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete