Sunday, July 31, 2011

New Event: "Cook Around the Globe" August 2011

I have recently joined some food blogger events like The Daring Kitchen, The Secret Recipe Club, and Your Best Recipe. These events are a lot of fun. I like trying recipes from different countries and regions, so I came up with a new event, which I am hereby introducing.

Welcome to "Cook Around the Globe"!


This is a fun monthly event where we learn about the character of different cuisines around the globe simply by cooking dishes. Each month, I will choose a country or a group of countries. Each participant prepares one (or more) dishes from these countries. On the 1st day of the following month, you can post a link to your dish on my blog. The dish can be anything: drink, appetizer, main dish, pastry, etc. Depending on the number of participants, we will get a great variety of dishes from a certain region of the world. For each chosen region, I will also try to post some links  where to find recipes.

(Registration is not necessary for this event. Simply post your link on my blog.)


August is the last month of summer here, so I thought we celebrate this warm, fun, sunny season by preparing a caribbean dish (see the following for specifics).

August 2011 "Cook Around the Globe":
Bermuda & the Caribbean "North" (Bahamas, Turks & Caicos, Cayman Islands, Cuba, Jamaica, Haiti, Dominican Republic, Puerto Rico)
(You will be able to post the link to your recipe on September 1.)
Feel free to contact me with any questions. You are welcome to leave a comment if you are interested in this event. It would be nice to get an idea of how many people would like to participate. To grab a button or picture for your blog, click here.

26 comments:

  1. This actually sounds great! I am in.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting, so I will give it a go:) I am doing a recipe exchange on my blog and would love for you to add a favourite recipe,just click the recipe exchange button on the sidebar to go to the post:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm going to try to do this! August is a busy month, but I'll give it my best shot! (I found you through the Food Bloggers Forum.) :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great idea. I've been looking for something like this and as a new blogger I just haven't been able to find anything.

    I can't wait to do this and link up :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. A very cool idea. I like to be helped along with inspiration for cooking

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds fun! Will try to participate!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is such a cool idea!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great idea! Count me in!
    PS. do you have a good rouladen recipe you wanna share?

    ReplyDelete
  9. This sounds great! I definitely want to participate in this! I can't this month because my graduate program has taken over my life in final papers... but hopefully I will be able to join in after! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. @ Betty Martha: This is how I prepare beef rouladen: Season both sides of the beef slices with salt and pepper. Spread 1 tablespoon of mustard onto the top side of each beef slice. Top this with 2 slices of bacon, some pickle pieces (optional), and some onion pieces. Roll up the beef, making sure the filling gets tucked in as you roll. Tie the rouladen together with cooking-safe string or use toothpicks (or other kind of meat sticks) to hold the rouladen together. Heat oil over high heat and briefly sear the rouladen so that they develop a nice brown outer crust. Add about 1/2 cup red wine (optional) and enough beef broth to cover the rouladen. Cook meat for about 1 1/2 - 2 hours until soft. (If you use a pressure cooker, cook for 45 minutes). Remove Rouladen form pot and thicken sauce with cornstarch or sour cream. Season to taste with salt and pepper. I like to eat red cabbage and boiled potatoes with rouladen.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a great idea! I'd love to participate too! Just one question... do we have to post on our blogs on the 1st or can we post before and then link on the 1st? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sounds like a fun idea--count me in. I will try to think of something interesting :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. @ Manu: You can post on your blog before. I will set up the linking tool on the 1st.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sounds like a great idea! I'm in....now to research for a good Caribbean recipe. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. This sounds so great and thanks for the info.

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a GREAT idea! I'd love to participate :D

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is my very busy time at work so I am not sure if I will be participating but I really like this idea. I cannot wait to see all of the recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  18. This sounds like a lot of fun! Count me in!

    ReplyDelete
  19. This sounds like super fun. Let me give it a shot and try to prepare something really Carribean. Trust me....I have not even tasted Carribbean so far.

    ReplyDelete