Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Kalbi - Korean-Style Short Ribs

We've recently had this dish in a Korean restaurant in Queens. The taste was great, so I thought I'd try it at home. It is a bit awkward to eat with all the pieces of bone and the fat. So I went to the local Korean food store to buy the meat. It was rather expensive but I thought why not, just this once. I also got the pre-made BBQ sauce for Kalbi. All in all, it's a pretty simple dish to prepare. You can of course make your own marinade, for example using this recipe from Bon Appetit.

About today's dinner, HubbyGrouch and I both thought that the taste was great but the meat had too much fat and too many bones. We'll try the marinade (my own next time) again on a different (thin) cut of meat.




Ingredients:
2 pounds Kalbi (Korean-style short ribs)
1 jar (480 g) BBQ marinade for Kalbi

Place the meat in a large enough container, covering every layer with marinade. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour. Prepare your BBQ or sandwich grill (I used the latter). Grill meat for about 2 minutes in the sandwich grill or 2-3 minutes per side on the BBQ. Serve with cold sesame noodles and salad.

No comments:

Post a Comment