Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Homemade Rainbow Pasta (or "Pasta Tolleranza")

This recipe is my contribution to the July 2011 Daring Cooks Challenge. The Challenge was to prepare hand-made pasta. I thought that a multi-color pasta would be a lot of fun to look at and to prepare. I was right - and wrong. HubbyGrouch wanted to name it "Pasta Loca" because the kids were driving me nuts during the last steps of preparation. LittleGrouch helped a bit towards the end; he had fun operating the pasta maker. That was one of the reasons I had chosen to make this colorful pasta: I thought he would like to help with it. It was a bit tricky to put the differently colored doughs together and the whole process took longer than I had thought. So, yes, I would definitely do it again - but only if the kids are not around.

As you will notice in the preparation of the pasta, I used food coloring instead of vegetables to "dye" the pasta. I wanna say that's again one of my mommy-ficatons. If I had had more time, I would have used saffron, carrots, tomato paste, beets, spinach, or other veggies to obtain color effects. I chose to serve the pasta with a very simple sauce, if you can call it that. I didn't want to drench them in tomato sauce or a cream based sauce. This pasta is all about seeing the colors.


Ingredients (for about 6 servings):
600 g all-purpose flour
6 large eggs
olive oil
salt
food coloring
more flour for dusting

Anchovy Garlic Oil
1/3 cup olive oil
8-10 anchovy fillets
3 garlic cloves, smashed
crushed red pepper
black pepper
3 tbsp chopped fresh parsley

For each individually colored dough, place 100 g flour in a mixing bowl. Make a ditch in the middle and add 1 egg, 1 tsp oil, 2-3 dashes of salt, and the desired food coloring. With a fork, beat the egg and then start incorporating the flour, a bit at a time, until you obtain a smooth dough. (Add more flour if the dough is too moist or a few drops of water if it's too dry.) Form the dough into a ball, wrap in plastic wrap and keep refrigerated for about 2 hours. Run each dough through your pasta maker as instructed in the manual until you reach the desired thinness. (If dough is too moist, dust with flour so it won't stick to the drums of the pasta maker.) Cut each dough crosswise into 12 equal strips. For the rainbow striped dough, place six differently colored dough strips together in a slighty overlapping fashion, as shown in the picture.


Carefully run the dough through the drums of the pasta maker again.


Then run the dough through the Tagliatelle/Fettuccine drum of the pasta maker and hang to dry. (I used chop sticks set between to chairs.)


Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add 2 tbsp salt. Cook pasta for about 3 minutes, until soft. Drain and put back in the pot.


In the meantime, prepare the sauce. Place olive oil, anchovies, 2-3 dashes of red pepper, and garlic in a small sauce pan. Heat gently over low-medium heat, stirring from time to time, until anchovies dissolve. Add parsley and season to taste with salt and black pepper. Pour oil over pasta and mix well. Serve immediately.

14 comments:

  1. I adore what you named this pasta! It's so pretty and looks like a ton of fun to make with a few less "helping" hands.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this! What a fun, festive pasta with all of those vibrant colors. I love that you kept the sauce simple so the noodles really could be the hilight of the dish. Great work!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE the colors!! Its a guarantee my kids to eat with anything colorful like this! Way to go!!
    www.cookinformycaptain.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rainbow colours what a fantastic idea,
    i'm sure every kids will love to eat pasta now,even i am hehe
    thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  5. How fun! I absolutely love it! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a creative pasta! I love this - so much fun. Welcome to the Daring Cooks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. OMG the colours are hilarious! This is great! Thanks for participating in this month's challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your pasta looks so playful, and the sauce sounds yummy :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Really fun! I LOVED the picture of them hanging to dry - beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just love your rainbow pasta - although slightly worried if my little one would eat it or rather play with it ;)
    Pozdrawiam! Anula.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Bekomme ich die auch, wenn ich das nächste Mal da bin? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's amazing, that colors are so wonderful. I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow your pasta looks just beautiful. Fantastic colours! Cooking with little ones is definitely both a joy and a maddening experience. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm always looking for cool rainbow food for my youtube channel. I love this! If I post my version I will link back to you :)

    ReplyDelete