Saturday, July 16, 2011

Germarican Blueberry Pancakes

I do like blueberry pancakes. What I don't like are the kind of pancakes that are served in most breakfast places here. They are just too dry. The German-style pancakes I grew up with have a much higher egg-content and thus are more like an omelette with some flour, rather than being a flat, pan-fried cake. For me, pancake batter must have real eggs. I don't buy pancake mix where you just have to add water. For this recipe, I adjusted the amount of eggs to somewhere in between German and American pancakes - thus the name for the recipe. (The original recipe calls for 3 eggs). The dough of these pancakes is less viscous than the American dough. To get a perfectly round pancake, therefore, use either a small frying pan or a pancake ring.


Ingredients:
300 g fresh (or frozen) blueberries
200 g flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 dash of salt
2 eggs
250 ml milk
50 g unsalted butter, melted
more butter for frying
maple syrup for serving

Mix together flour, baking powder, and salt. Whisk together eggs and milk. Add flour and mix to obtain a smooth dough. Stir in melted butter, then add blueberries. Heat 1-2 tsp butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Use about 1/3 cup batter per pancake. Depending on the size of the skillet, you can bake batches of 3-4 pancakes at a time. Cook until lightly browned, about 3 minutes, flip over and cook for another 1-2 minutes. Add more butter to the skillet as needed for more pancakes. Serve with maple syrup.


3 comments:

  1. MMM!!! I have a pancake loving daughter who will devour these guys. She loves pancakes in nearly any form, and I'm thinking she would enjoy this version. Thanks! Printed and saved for later in the week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very interesting - I like American pancakes, but I'm open to new ideas...thanks! They look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this idea, we grew up with the German kind.... the blueberries must be wonderful!

    ReplyDelete