Saturday, July 23, 2011

Chilled Guacamole-Style Soup with Toppings

I have seen quite a few recipes for chilled avocado soup lately. I guess that's not really surprising during the "dog days" of summer. After looking at several recipes for avocado soup, I created my own. It includes all the things I liked in other recipes. I really like the soup but HubbyGrouch's comment was: "It's too similar to guacamole. It feels like I'm eating a dip."


Ingredients:
2 avocados, shell removed and flesh diced coarsely
1/2 red onion
2 tbsp lime juice
2 tbsp chopped fresh cilantro
2 tsp chicken bouillon powder
2-3 dashes cayenne pepper (or more, depending on how hot you like it)
1/4 cup heavy cream
1/2 cup milk
1/2 tsp ground cumin
salt
freshly ground black pepper
canned whole corn kernel, drained
cherry tomatoes, diced
ham, diced
sour cream

Place avocados, onion, lime juice, cilantro, chicken bouillon, cayenne pepper, heavy cream, milk, cumin and 1 1/2 cups of water in a bowl or your blender. Puree until smooth. Season to taste with salt, pepper, and more lime juice and cayenne pepper, if desired. If the soup is too thick for your taste, just add some more water or milk. Chill in the refrigerator for 2-3 hours before serving. To server, pour soup into bowls and top with corn, tomatoes, ham, and sour cream. Taste good with tortilla chips.

11 comments:

  1. I am a big fan of chilled soups, and your avocado soup looks mouthwatering! It does look like a dip, just like I like it! :)

    Have a nice day!
    Tanja

    ReplyDelete
  2. This soup looks so good! It is a perfect meal for hot weather!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful presentation of this soup. Very nice recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks so simple to make and delicious! I know my husband wouldn't eat it though... he hates cold food even in the summer!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks amazing! My hubby grouch might say the same thing, but that's okay....I'd heat his share, too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Definitely a great soup for summer. Looks tasty.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Greetings. This is my first time on your blog, but you have a terrific one. I am always on the look out for new blogs, new ideas. I especially appreciate all the details you do, so many photos makes it seem like anyone can replicate the recipe!

    I am asking, would you please consider posting a few of your favorite recipes on erecipecards.com
    http://erecipecards.com/

    It is a tool for bloggers to see and to be seen. Your posts would fit in perfectly.

    in addition, all photos, recipe titles as well as your blog name would link directly back to your blog. Thus giving you new attention and potentially new readers.

    Or, if you just want to take a look at a lot of fellow food bloggers all in one place. A great learning experience to get ideas about how to establish your own blogging voice!


    Please take a look. If you have any ideas or questions, please do not hesitate to write

    Dave
    http://erecipecards.com/
    Contact@eRecipeCards.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. I LOVE avocados, but this is one of those that makes me nervous. Not sure why, just not sure what it would be like. Everones looks great though, so I might have to try it!

    ReplyDelete