Thursday, July 28, 2011

Cherry Crumble Cake

Tart cherries are usually only available for a short time (at least here where I live), so I have to make the best of it. When I saw this recipe, I just had to try it. I made a similar cake with apples last year, and it was great (though/because loaded with butter). I can imagine that this cake would also be great with peaches, apricots, pears, plums.... The original recipe called for ground almonds but as I didn't have any at home, I used ground walnuts instead. You can probably use any kind of ground nut, depending on what you like and which fruits you are using for the cake. Most of this cake and the other one I recently made will go straight to the freezer. HubbyGrouch and I like to have some fruity cake snacks/desserts available; especially during the long winter.




Ingredients (for one 11" by 17" cake):
1 kg tart cherries
600 g (5 1/2 sticks) soft unsalted butter
2 eggs
1 tsp grated lemon zest (or 1 tsp lemon extract)
400 g plus 50 g sugar
1 kg all-purpose flour
2 tbsp baking powder
2 dashes salt
2 tsp allspice (or cinnamon)
100 g ground walnuts

Pit cherries, place in a strainer, and sprinkle with 50 g sugar. Shake carefully to distribute sugar evenly. Preheat oven to 400F. Place butter, eggs, and lemon zest in a large bowl. Mix together flour, 400 g sugar, baking powder, salt, and allspice. Add flour mix to butter and eggs and mix together to obtain a crumbly dough. Line a large (about 11" by 17") rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper. Spread about half the batter in the baking sheet. Sprinkle walnut flour onto the baking sheet, then top with cherries. Crumble remaining dough over the cherries. Bake for about 30-35 minutes, until lightly browned. Remove from oven and cut immediately into about 15 pieces (or more if you want them smaller). Let cool completely. Serve plain or with whipped cream.

10 comments:

  1. Such a lovely recipe. Looks so delicious. And I cracked up over Hubbygrouch. Too funny!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ooh i've been looking for something to make with cherries! this might be it! looks tasty :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow - this looks AMAZING! I bet everyone enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! Looks wonderful. Wish I had a piece now. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cake looks great..... you freeze most of your cakes I have never once thought of doing that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Is this called a streusel in German? Looks really good. The German bakers and patissierie are the best.

    ReplyDelete
  7. @ Caroline: The regular "Streuselkuchen" is a sweet yeast dough topped with streusel (crumbles). It usually doesn't have a fruit layer, though in some cases, to keep it moist, the yeast dough is brushed with jam before putting the streusel layer.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Is this similar to kuchen? I've only just herd of it so I wasn't sure. This looks amazing though.. I love it when cherries are in season!

    ReplyDelete
  9. @ Elyse: "Kuchen" is the German word for "cake". So, yes, this is one kind of Kuchen. Were you thinking of something more specific?

    ReplyDelete