Monday, June 13, 2011

Spelt Flour Bread from the Breadmachine

Today, I felt like baking some bread. Recently, I mainly used my bread machine for making pizza dough but I thought it was time to use it again for its original purpose. The total amount of flour for this bread is 540 g (4 cups). The amounts of white and whole grain spelt flour can be changed according to preference.


Ingredients (for one 2-pound loaf):
360 ml (1 2/3 cups) lukewarm water
1 tsp sugar
2 tsp salt
2 tbsp vegetable oil
360 g (2 2/3 cups) white spelt flour
180 g (1 1/3 cups) whole grain spelt flour
2 tsp active dry yeast

Place all ingredients in the above order in the bread pan of your bread machine. Choose the 2-pound loaf setting for white bread.

2 comments:

  1. I've seen this type of flour cropping up more and more in the markets of here, Dinkelmehl, I believe it was or something like that. My husband seemed to be of the opinion that it was used in medieval times and forgotten for a reason. I'm still curious about its taste. How did you find its taste to be?

    ReplyDelete
  2. @ rhymeswiththyme: Honestly, I don't taste a big difference. Sometime, I should make a direct comparison, using both with the same recipe; and make a tasting. I think Dinkel (spelt) was not "forgotten" but is just not as commercially desirable to farm as wheat.

    ReplyDelete