Saturday, June 11, 2011

Family Recipe: Soft-boiled Eggs with Mustard Sauce and Lemony Carrot Salad (Eier in Senfsoße)

I decided to include more childhood dishes and German food into my meal plan. Today's dinner was always a favorite of mine. I already mentioned that I am a sauce junkie, and mustard sauce is just great. Yes, American people, you heard correctly. Mustard can be so much more than just a condiment for your hot dog. I actually have a whole cookbook with recipes that use mustard. At home, we usually had mashed potatoes or boiled potatoes with this dish. If I had had more time, I there would have been homemade mashed potatoes. But today, the instant ones had to suffice. The mustard sauce also goes well with vegetables, fish, and meat. Unfortunately, when I was finally ready to take some pictures of dinner, the battery of the camera died. So the picture you see here is all I could manage. I should probably also mention that HubbyGrouch refuses to eat this dish for two reasons: First, he doesn't like egg dishes for dinner. For him, eggs are very much a breakfast "thing". Second, he doesn't particularly like this dish. LittleGrouch wasn't terribly keen on it this time, either. I guess this might become a dish for the days when there are only enough leftovers for one person.



Ingredients:
1-2 large eggs per person
1 package instant mashed potatoes

Sauce
20 g (1 1/2 tbsp) butter
20 g (2 1/2 tbsp) flour
300 ml (1 1/4 cup) broth of your choice
200 ml (5/6 cup) milk
1 tbsp medium mustard
2 tbsp Dijon mustard
salt and pepper

Carrot Salad
4-5 large carrots, grated
juice of 1 lemon
sugar

Toss together grated carrot and lemon juice. Season to taste with sugar, set aside. To prepare the sauce, melt butter in a saucepan over medium-low heat. Stir in flour, whisking constantly. Continure whisking for about 2 minutes. Mix broth and milk, heat, then slowly add to flour, stirring constantly. Continue stirring and bring to a boil. Boil for 1 minute until thickened, remove from heat. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Keep warm. Prepare mashed potatoes as directed. Boil eggs to desired softness (about 3 1/2 minutes, depending on size). Peel the eggs and serve together with mashed potatoes, sauce, and salad.

3 comments:

  1. Oh, I love eggs in mustard sauce! My friend taught me to make it just before Christmas, and he definitely serves it with mashed potatoes. Yum, yum!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello,


    We bumped into your blog and we really liked it - great recipes YUM YUM.
    We would like to add it to the Petitchef.com.

    We would be delighted if you could add your blog to Petitchef so that our users can, as us,
    enjoy your recipes.

    Petitchef is a french based Cooking recipes Portal. Several hundred Blogs are already members
    and benefit from their exposure on Petitchef.com.

    To add your site to the Petitchef family you can use http://en.petitchef.com/?obj=front&action=site_ajout_form or just go to Petitchef.com and click on "Add your site"

    Best regards,

    Vincent
    petitchef.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not exactly keen on eggs, but I do love a good mustard sauce, so I'll have to try this one out sometime and see. Vielen dank! :)

    ReplyDelete