Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Rotini Pasta with Broccoli

This is one of my favorite pasta recipes and one of the few dishes where I actually enjoy the broccoli. There are lots of variations of this classic pasta dish. I have tried three or four different ones, but this is my favorite.


Ingredients:
500 g broccoli florets (fresh or frozen)
350 g (3/4 pound) rotini pasta
salt
5-6 tbsp olive oil
6 anchovy fillets
6 medium cloves garlic, pressed
2-3 dashes crushed red pepper
black pepper

Cook the broccoli in lightly salted water until soft, about 10 minutes, drain. Prepare the pasta according to instructions, drain. Meanwhile, in a small sauce pan or skillet, heat the oil over low heat. Add anchovies, garlic, red pepper, and season to taste with black pepper. Heat through for 15 minutes. The anchovies will dissolve, and the flavors melt. Toss hot, drained pasta with anchovy-garlic-oil, then fold in broccoli and serve.

4 comments:

  1. Fabulous recipe! I'm Italian and this is a great example of the essence of Italian cooking - simple dishes made from a handful of selected ingredients. I really like your recipe because it is similar to Orecchiette with Cime di Rapa, but made with ingredients that are definitely more accessible in North America. I'm officially hungry now... :)

    I just discovered your blog, I'm going to continue exploring it :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great dish for lunch or dinner!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Paolo: Thanks for your comment. The compliment of an Italian on an Italian recipe posted by a non-Italian is a great honor.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This pasta looks delicious! and I love the fact that its healthy as well taking away the guilty feeling after

    ReplyDelete