Thursday, June 9, 2011

Russia/Georgia/Ukraine: Pork with Spicy Red Wine Marinade

Today's recipe is from the "Dacha Grilling Party" article in the June issue of Food & Wine. I was going to prepare the "Pork Shashlik with Spicy Red Wine Marinade" with the suggested side of "Spicy Plum Sauce". I love plums and prunes and I know they go really well with pork. But alas, it was not going to happen. The store had neither fresh nor frozen plums of any kind. I remembered two days ago when the same thing happened with peaches. I was tempted to pull the baby food stunt again but then I had another idea. The marinade used in the recipe is basically being discarded. Well, why waste perfectly good food? So, I made a dip sauce from the marinade. I also knew I wasn't going to light a grill for a few shashliks and had decided to use my sandwich grill again. I ended up pan-frying the meat instead (I didn't look forward to cleaning the grill). I had also overlooked that the meat was supposed to marinate over night, so I ended up marinating it for only 6 hours. What I liked about preparing the marinade, was grating the tomato. I had never come across a recipe that required it (grated the onion was much less enjoyable). I served the dish with a side of fried summer squash strips, inspired by another recipe in the same issue of the magazine "Spinach Fettuccine with Tangy Grilled Summer Squash".



Ingredients:
4 garlic cloves, mashed
3 plum tomatoes, coarsely grated
1 medium onion, coarsely grated
1 cup dry red wine
2 tbsp chopped cilantro
1/2 tsp crushed red pepper
1 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp paprika powder
1.5 pounds trimmed boneless pork shoulder, cut into 1 inch thick schnitzel
1-2 tbsp vegetable oil
salt and pepper
3-4 tbsp ketchup

Pan-fried Summer Squash
3 medium summer squash, sliced lengthwise1/8 inch thick
salt
1-2 tbsp olive oil
pepper
1-2 garlic cloves, mashed
1-2 tbsp lemon juice
1 tbsp chopped tarragon

Combine the garlic, tomatoes, onion, wine, cilantro, red pepper, oregano, and paprika powder. Add the pork and toss thoroughly. Cover and refrigerate for 6 hours (better overnight). Sprinkle the squash slices with salt and let sit in a colander for 1 hour. Heat oil in a pan over high heat. Add squash and cook, stirring, until starting to brown, about 2-3 minutes. Season with pepper, garlic, and lemon juice and cook until flavors develop, about 1 minutes longer. Set aside. Heat vegetable oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Season pork with salt and pepper, add to the skillet, and cook until cooked through, about 4-5 minutes per side. Pour the marinade into a small saucepan, salt lightly, and boil over medium-high heat until sauce thickens, about 15-20 minutes. Stir in ketchup. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve pork with sauce and summer squash.

No comments:

Post a Comment