Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Grilled Chicken with Peach-Ketchup Marinade and Simple Tomato Salad

Both, Bon Appetit and Food & Wine recently had articles promoting Gwyneth Paltrow's new cookbook. I am always somewhat skeptical when some celebrity "writes" a cookbook. I think very often they just give their name and pose for some pictures. In this case however, I tend to be persuaded that she really is a "foodie" (I don't really like this silly expression but, well, it's out there and widely used so I might as well use it, too.) and can cook. I like the style of her recipes, and I have quite a few on my list to try out. So, for today I had "Grilled Chicken with Peach BBQ Sauce" from Bon Appetit on my meal plan. I think I already mentioned that I hardly ever follow a recipe to the letter. I probably did when I first started cooking but now, there is usually something I change. This recipe called for fresh or frozen peaches. They should be easy to find, right? Wrong! The store I went to (a big store, mind) had fresh peaches that were not even close to being ripe, and they didn't have frozen ones. What to do? It was already late afternoon and I didn't have time to go elsewhere. LittleGrouch and MissChubbyCheeks were getting fussy and I was stressed out. But then: the light bulb above my head! The peaches needed to be cooked and then pureed for the marinade. Well, why not take BABY FOOD peach puree? That was the ultimate mommy-fication of the recipe. I could just whisk together the sauce and heat it in the microwave to blend the flavors, and save quite a bit of time. (I briefly thought about canned peaches as well, but they often have sugar added and I would still have to puree them.) How would that compare to the "real and intended" flavor of the recipe? If I am ever going to find out, I'll post it. We did end up enjoying the dinner of grilled (in a panini grill) chicken. It is a quick and simple summer dish. I served it with a simple tomato salad and no carbs. The grilling was another issue. I didn't want to fire up the charcoal grill for a few chicken breasts. I don't have a grilling pan or an electric indoor grill. When I looked at small electric table-top grills, it occurred to me that they looked just like my panini grill. Et voilà, that's what I was gonna use instead of buying another kitchen gadget. Let me tell you, it worked just fine! Even LittleGrouch who, until now, never liked chicken, ate 1 1/2 grilled chicken tenders.


Ingredients:
10 ounces baby food peach puree
1/2 cup ketchup
2 tbsp fresh lime juice
2 garlic cloves, pressed
1 1/2 tsp liquid from jarred jalapeños
salt and pepper
10 boneless chicken tenders (about 1 pound)
vegetable oil

Simple Tomato Salad
4 ripe tomatoes, diced
1 shallot, minced
2 tbsp parsley, minced
1-2 tbsp vinegar
3-4 tbsp olive oil
salt and pepper

Combine peach puree, ketchup, garlic, lime juice, garlic and chili liquid in a microwave save bowl. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Heat in the microwave until bubbling and flavors are coming together, about 4 minutes at 800 W. Let cool. Marinate the chicken in half the sauce for 30 minutes at room temperature. Prepare grill, brush grill rack with oil. Grill chicken until browned and almost cooked through, 1-2 minutes per side. Baste with marinade and grill until cooked through, another 1-2 minutes. For the salad, combine all ingredients, season to taste with salt and pepper, and let stand at room temperature for about 30 minutes or until chicken is ready.

5 comments:

  1. Hi sweet friend! I loved your blog. Nice recipes and nice dishes. So, I'm a new follower. Visit my blog and enjoy it, too.

    http://kibe-cozinhandocomamigos.blogspot.com/

    Kisses from Brazil.

    Luiz

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am looking this recipe!! YUMMY (:
    I can understand your pain, when you go into a supermarket, and cannot find 1 product, that is so ordinary! You did a great job with thinking so quickly with the baby food! I will be subscribing to your blog, and cannot wait to check out some of your other recipes!

    Juju

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oops! I meant to say "liking" instead of "looking"!! ^__^

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved your mummy-fication of the recipe :)
    great post

    ReplyDelete
  5. When a recipe come to another person, it always turn out differently as we would put in whatever is available to suit our taste. Great thinking of using baby food as a substitute. Thanks for the add at foodbuzz, looking forward for sharing recipes.

    ReplyDelete