Friday, May 27, 2011

Burgers with Danish Blue Cheese and Port

As the weather is getting warmer, I will use my oven and range less to avoid extra heat. Burgers are a good start into the summer season and this recipe from Food & Wine ("Umami Burgers with Port and Stilton") sounded interesting. I was going to make the umami dust (refer to original recipe) but didn't have the time to pass by the Asian grocery store to pick up the ingredients (like almost everything else here, that store is about 20 minutes away). I have to admit that I had never had a Port reduction before and I really liked it. I will try to incorporate it into other dishes as well. For the meat patties, I used my own recipe with two changes: I left out the onion and I used Italian seasoning instead of thyme.


Ingredients:
Meat patties recipe
2 tsp Italian seasoning
olive oil
1 1/2 cups ruby port
4 ounces Rosenborg cheese (Danish Blue Cheese), sliced
4 soft rolls, split and lightly toasted

In a small saucepan, cook the port over moderate heat until reduced to 3-4 tbsp, about 20 minutes. Prepare the minced meat as directed in the recipe. Heat 1-2 tsp oil in a large enough skillet over medium heat. Form 4 meat patties slightly bigger than the buns, and not thicker than 1/2 inch. Fry about 3-4 minutes per side, until cooked through. Place one patty on each lower half of the buns, top with cheese and melt cheese under the broiler (about 6 inches away from heat source). Top with the port reduction, serve with the top of bun and a side of vegetables or salad. (Prepare more meat patties from leftover meat mixture and have as a lunch snack the next day.)

No comments:

Post a Comment