Friday, April 8, 2011

Greek-Style Lamb Chops and Roasted Potatoes

As I have already mentioned, I love Greek food. So, I was very happy when I saw a whole Greek Easter menu in the current issue of Bon Appetit magazine. I prepared Lamb Chops with Lemon and Lemon-Roasted Potatoes. (Not exactly according to the recipes, as usual.) I used mainly dried ingredients instead of fresh herbs. I normally wouldn't but HubbyGrouch chip-fractured his ankle today so I had to cut back on the preparation time to fight the looming chaos in our house. I decided to call this simplification of the recipe "mommy-rization", which I often do depending on what's going on at the house during dinner preparation. No doubt you'll notice that if you compare other source recipes to the version I typed up for the blog.


Ingredients: (for 2 people)
Lamb Chops
5 lamb chops
onion powder
dried oregano
garlic powder
sugar
fresh mint leaves, torn into small pieces
1 tbsp olive oil
1/2 tbsp lemon juice
black pepper
extra olive oil for frying

Potatoes
1 pound fingerling potatoes, rinsed and halved lenghtwise
2-3 tbsp olive oil
salt
black pepper
juice of one lemon
1-2 tsp dried dill weed
1-2 tsp garlic powder

Sprinkle lamb chops with onion powder, oregano, garlic powder, a dash of sugar, and mint. Place in one layer in a flat dish, seasoned side down. Season the other side. Cover dish with plastic wrap and place in the fridge for 8-12 hours. Whisk olive oil with lemon juice, a little bit of salt, and a generous amount of pepper. Spoon half of oil mixture over meat, turn chops over and spoon remaining oil mixture over them. Let stand at room temperature for 1 hour. Heat a little bit of olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Fry chops 3-5 minutes pre side. In the meantime, prepare the potatoes. Preheat oven to 375°F. Line a large rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper. Toss potatoes with olive oil and generous amounts of salt and pepper. Spread on baking sheet and roast for 30 minutes. Whisk lemon juice with dill weed and garlic powder. Sprinkle over potatoes and roast for 15 minutes longer. Serve meat with potatoes and tomato salad.

2 comments:

  1. I definitely sympathize with your lack of greek restaurants there. I simply love greek food now that I've been introduced to it. I think there would probably be a real profit in the US for someone making a greek food chain with REAL greek food. On a side note, if you're looking for authentic greek recipes, my recent favorite has been http://eatgreek.net/
    Hope it helps!

    ReplyDelete
  2. @ rhymeswiththyme: Thanks. I found that webpage when I was looking for authentic recipes.

    ReplyDelete