Monday, March 28, 2011

Oven-Roast Eggplant and Chickpeas with Curry

If I have to sing "Baby Beluga" one more time, I'm gonna shoot myself. Even for a children song, it is too silly and idiotic. So much more astounding that everybody (except me) seems to love it. I must admit though, that in general I have a problem with the way animal life is humanized and romanticized - for kids and adults alike! I have never been a pet person anyway, and the way people go crazy about them is always a mystery and most of the time really annoying. Just yesterday someone tried to tell me that with two kids we absolutely should get a kitten. What a notion. I don't know why people pride themselves in their selfishness. Because that's what it is. And don't tell me it's in any way beneficial for the animal. They are bred solely for their owner's pleasure. The aforementioned song is just another manifestation of this very twisted way of thinking. But before I get too upset, I'll better type out today's recipe. This is another family favorite. I have prepared it a lot of times. The preparation is quick and easy and the taste is just great. The recipe is Food & Wine's "Curried Eggplant with Chickpeas and Spinach".

Ingredients:
2 large garlic cloves, pressed
1 tsp salt
1 1/2 - 2 tbsp curry powder
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 large eggplant, cut into 3/4 inch pieces
1 large onion, cut into 1/2 inch wedges
one 15 ounce can chickpeas, drained
1/4 cup finely julienned fresh ginger
one 5 ounce bag baby spinach
warm naan and plain yogurt for serving

Preheat oven to 425°F. In a large bowl, mix garlic, salt, curry powder, and oil. Add eggplant, onion, chickpeas, and ginger. Mix well. Line a large rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper. Spread vegetables on baking sheet. Bake for 30 minutes. Add spinach, toss briefly. Bake another 3-4 minutes until spinach wilts and softens. Serve with yogurt and naan or other flatbread.

2 comments:

  1. This is so easy and I am sure I will love the combination of ingredients. I love that eggplants add the "meaty" texture and chickpeas add the protein ..

    ReplyDelete
  2. I couldn't disagree with you more in regards to your thoughts on pets - but coudln't agree with you more on how great this dish is! This will be something I will definitly be trying in the near future!

    ReplyDelete