Wednesday, March 23, 2011

German-Style Meat Patties (Mettklöße)

This is another family favorite and one of the few things my very picky 3-year old likes. You can use any kind or combination of minced meat: beef, pork, veal, chicken, turkey. I usually use beef. Depending on your choice of meat, you might want to vary the herbs you use. I like to combine turkey with rosemary, for example. You can use this recipe for meat patties, hamburgers or mini-patties (for finger food). My classic combo for serving is green beans, potatoes and brown gravy. But you are free in choosing any sides you like.


Ingredients:
1/4 cup bread crumbs
1/4 cup milk (optional)
1 pound minced meat of your choice
4-5 ounces minced onion
1 tsp dried thyme
1 large egg
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
1/4 cup sparkling water (or 1/4 cup water plus 1 tsp baking soda)

Put bread crumbs in a large bowl and pour milk over. Let stand for 5 minutes. Add remaining ingredients (except sparkling water) and mix well. If using baking soda, mix in at this step. Immediately before preparing the patties, mix sparkling water into minced meat. With moist hands form meat patties. Size varies but they should be about 1/2 inch thick. Working in batches, fry the patties with a little bit of oil over medium heat, about 3-4 minutes per side. Serve with sides of your choice.

2 comments:

  1. Frikadellen! Wootz! I really love the ones my hubby brings home in the package, but I hate the smell. Seriously, my fridge smells like farts for days after the box is out of the fridge. It'll be nice to make it from scratch so I atleast know what's in it.

    ReplyDelete
  2.  
    This sounds darn delicious! It looks like I've stumbled onto a great recipe here.
     

    ReplyDelete