Thursday, March 17, 2011

Czech Beef Goulash

Well, I didn't actually cook this today. I just took it out of my freezer. I usually prepare a huge pot of goulash and then freeze it for the days that I don't have time to cook or am sick or else. I have always loved goulashes. With beef, pork, bell pepper, sauerkraut - all the varieties. I like it best with red cabbage and potato dumplings. It is also great with green beans or peas & carrots, and pasta. You should use a short pasta that can take up the sauce, like fusilli, gemelli,  elbows etc. Also, the original recipe calls for caraway, which I don't like. So I use cumin instead. The amount of hot and sweet paprika can be altered depending on how hot you like your goulash.
You can turn this goulash into a hearty soup by adding more water and bell pepper, tomatoes and potatoes. Other variations include mushrooms, white beans, peperoni, or ketchup.


Ingredients:
1 1/2 pounds beef for stewing, cut into 2 inch cubes
4 oz sliced bacon, cut into 1/2 inch strips
2 large onions, coarsely chopped
1 1/2 tbsp sweet paprika
1/2 tbsp hot paprika
salt
1/2 tsp cumin
1 tsp garlic powder
2 tsp marjoram
2 tbsp corn starch

In a pressure cooker, fry the bacon until crisp. Drain on paper towels, reserve bacon fat. Working in batches, brown meat from all sides, using bacon fat. Fry the onions until starting to soften, about 5-7 minutes. Add bacon, meat and both paprika powders. Stir for one minutes. Add 1-2 cups of water, depending on how much sauce you like. Add cumin, garlic, marjoram, and season to taste with salt. Cook in goulash in pressure cooker over low heat for about 45 minutes. Dissolve corn starch in 2 tbsp water and thicken goulash. Adjust taste with salt, paprika powder, and marjoram.

3 comments:

  1. Sounds good! I actually bought some beef cubes today and don't have any idea what to do with it :P I'd probably do a slow cooker version of this tho. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks great, I cooked it and I know that is delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Auf die schnelle gemacht ist es nicht schlecht, aber.....( jetzt kommt der Klugscheißer raus)
    wie Du bestimmt weißt es gibt ultimativere Methoden Gulash herzustellen.
    Falls Interesse, helfe ich gerne damit
    Gruß

    ReplyDelete