Friday, March 4, 2011

Chocolate Oatmeal Cookies

!!!  CAUTION  !!!  POTENTIALLY OFFENSIVE CONTENT  !!!  CAUTION  !!!

 ↓   ↓   ↓   ↓   ↓   ↓   ↓   ↓   ↓   ↓

As I was having dinner tonight, I opened the local newspaper, and what did I see? Another one of those "local man completes basic training" pictures. There's one of those almost every week. Congrats, you potential Darwin Award Winners! I think all American GIs should collectively be awarded this trophy. You want to come home as a “Hero in a Box”?(∗)  Be my guest. At least there will be no money wasted on veteran services. (Ooops, I hope my GreenCard won’t be revoked for saying that.) Freedom of speech in this country unfortunately often seems to be confined to praising the U.S. of A. but is not always applicable to criticism of the system. Criticism is considered un-American, un-patriotic. That’s why congress and the Senate won’t even hint at cutting the military budget (which, to everyone with a decent IQ, seems a very obvious and easy solution to cutting government expenses) because whoever does will most likely not be re-elected. It seems that, especially since 9/11, patriotism has replaced freedom as the highest value. I have heard (I hadn’t moved here then), that just before the Iraq war, the big TV stations fired people who openly and publicly spread doubt about there being any evidence for WMDs; and if you had one person on a show who defended that opinion, you would have two who said there was. It is just incredible that in times of internet, mass media, blogs, facebook etc., a government (and not a totalitarian regime, but one of a democratic country, mind you!) could get away with lies like that.  Everybody in Europe was aware that there was no evidence whatsoever and that their were financial and oil interest at stake. Now you can maybe understand how Herr H. and Herr G. could get away with their propaganda in a time when ordinary people had very limited access to media and sources of information.

(∗)That somehow got me thinking about toys and action figures. I wondered whether anyone already had the idea to make a soldier action figure funeral set. And indeed, this is what I found this story on Recoil Magazine. I have to admit that I had never heard of Recoil, and at first didn't know it was a news parody. So then my mind with its morbid thoughts went further. How about a "Suicide Bomber" action figure? I'm thinking head, legs, and arms attached to a release mechanism with hooks and springs; I'm thinking press the belly to catapult those parts away from the body; I'm thinking selling it as a set with innocent by-standers that can get knocked over by flying body parts.

↑   ↑   ↑   ↑   ↑   ↑   ↑   ↑   ↑   ↑

 !!!  CAUTION  !!!  POTENTIALLY OFFENSIVE CONTENT  !!!  CAUTION  !!!


Yes, right, I was gonna post a recipe today. These cookies are a spin-off of the Oatmeal Raisin Cookies. Just use some whole wheat flour, add more juice, and replace cinnamon and raisins by allspice and chocolate chips - et voilà! This is the first time I made them and I ate about 3 or 4 right away.... They remind me of my beloved chocolate müsli, which I can't find here. Enjoy!


Ingredients:
1 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
3/4 cup whole wheat flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp allspice
1 dash of salt
2 sticks margerine
1 cup sugar
2 tbsp molasses
2 large eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/3 cup orange juice
3 cups old-fashioned oats
5 oz chocolate chips

Mix flour, baking soda, allspice and salt. In another bowl, whisk margarine until creamy. Add sugar and molasses, then the eggs. Finally, stir in vanilla and juice. Slowly add flour mixture to get a smooth dough. Carefully mix in oats and chocolate. Drop 2 inch balls of dough onto parchment lined baking sheets, about 3 inches apart. Bake at 320°F in middle of oven for 10-15 minutes until golden-brown. Makes 40 to 50 cookies.

No comments:

Post a Comment