Saturday, March 5, 2011

Algeria: Chicken with Olives

Until I was about 25, I did not like olives. I thought their taste was just too intense and, for the lack of a better word, weird. I don't remember exactly what happened, but for some reason or other I found the time had come to try them again. Since then, I just love them. I often have some olives and cheese as an afternoon snack. I like them on my pizza or in dishes like this one. I have made this dish before and we both loved it. I guess it can be described as the Algerian version of a stir-fry. It's easy and quick, and a great combination flavors, which I love about North African cuisines. The lemon juice gives it the final touch. I like to use lemon juice to season dishes. It always makes me feel like summer and I use less salt. I serve this dish with couscous but rice works just as well.


Ingredients:
3 tbsp olive oil
1 onion, finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 1/2 cups chopped tomatoes (fresh or canned)
2 tbsp fresh ginger, minced
1/2 tsp sweet paprika
3/4 tsp ground cumin
salt
pepper
4-6 chickenbreast halves or boneless thighs, cut into bite-size pieces
juice of 1 lemon
30 pepper-stuffed olives

Heat 1 tbsp olive oil. Add the onion and garlic and sauté for 2 minutes. Add the tomatoes, ginger, paprika, cumin and 1/2 tsp salt. Sauté for 2 minutes. Scrape the mixture into a bowl. Heat remaining oil, add the chicken and sauté until lightly browned, 3-5 minutes. Return the tomato mixture to the pan. Reduce heat, cover pan and cook until chicken is tender, about 5 minutes. Uncover the pan, increase heat and add the lemon juice and olives. Toss to warm the olives. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve with couscous or rice.

No comments:

Post a Comment