Thursday, February 24, 2011

Potato Salmon Patties

Potato Pancakes are one of my favorite childhood dishes. We usually had them with homemade applesauce. I am not really a big fan of sweet main dishes though, so now we eat them with sour cream. Anyway, when I found a recipe for "Salmon-and-Spinach Cakes" in Food&Wine, I simply had to try it. So here is my variation of it. I love the combination of potatoes, salmon and spinach. Although if I make these again, I will definitely add an egg to the mix to hold it together. The patties were rather delicate to turn over in the pan.


Ingredients:
1 lb Yukon Gold potatoes
5 oz baby spinach
1 cup mayonnaise
cayenne pepper
black pepper
salt
3 tbsp chopped dill
1 lb skinless salmon fillet, cut into 1/2 pieces
1/4 cup plus 2 tbsp heavy cream
1/4 cup minced onion
vegetable oil for frying

Boil potatoes until tender, about 30 minutes depending on the size. Peel and cut into 1/4 inch dice, transfer to a large bowl. Heat a 2 tablespoons of water over medium heat. Cook the spinach until wilted. Drain, squeeze dry and coarsely chop. Mix the mayonnaise with dill, season with cayenne pepper, black pepper, and salt. Chop salmon in a food processor, incorporate cream. Add the salmon, spinach, and onion to the potatoes. Season with salt and pepper. Form 12-15 patties. Fry in batches over medium heat, 3-4 minutes per side. Serve with the dip.

1 comment:

  1. Definitely going to have to try these out. My family always makes salmon patties and mein Deutscher Mann loves his potato cakes, this seems like a nice compromise. :)

    ReplyDelete