Monday, February 28, 2011

Oven-roast Duck Legs and Potatoes

HubbyGrouch just suggested that I change my pen name to PsychoWife. I was teasing him, that our 6-months-old daughter's runny nose was caused by him not putting a hat on her yesterday when taking her outside to the car. He blames her being immersed in a room full of babies and toddlers for a birthday party. Anyway, this is reminds me of one particular thing I have noticed here. Half of women's conversation seems to consist of complaints and stories about their husbands. It always makes me wonder why people get married - and it explains why they get divorced. But no matter. Now for today's recipe.
Yes, I know. This is not an everyday-life quick dinner (but it is a simple one!). I happened to see duck legs in the supermarket and as we hadn't had duck in a while, I just couldn't resist. You can of course use chicken thighs instead of the duck. I chose a one-dish oven-roast recipe for it's simplicity and promising flavor combination. I  find that with dishes of this kind, anticipation is one of the greatest pleasures. The kitchen is filled with the aromas of garlic and rosemary, and my mouth starts watering. I enjoyed very much eating this dish, although I must say (and this is something that cookbooks never tell you), that the duck leg is a little difficult to eat. I often came across recipes that sounded delicious and were special in the preparation and appearance, but when it came to serving and eating them, I simply didn't know how to go about it. Also, this is one of the few recipes which actually look like the picture in the cookbook if you follow all the instructions.


Ingredients:
2 big Yukon Gold potatoes, cut into 1 inch cubes
3/4 tsp dried crushed rosmary
2 red onion, cut into 1 inch cubes
4 big garlic cloves, peeled and halved
12-15 cherry tomatoes
salt
pepper
2 duck legs
1 cup white wine or chicken broth

Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a large rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper. Mix potatoes, rosmary, onion, garlic, and cherry tomatoes. Season with salt and pepper, and spread on baking sheet. Rub duck legs with salt and pepper, place on top of potatoes. Bake for 75 minutes, turning duck legs once or twice. Add wine after half the time.


This post is linked to Potato Blog Hop on Katherine Martinelli.

4 comments:

  1. Makes me want to run out and buy some duck. Can't say I've ever had this feeling before.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never really ate duck much in the US, only when my dad had some on hand from a hunting trip and rarely then. The first 6 months of my arrival in DE, I lived with my husband's family and my husband and I have to say, his Mutti makes some delicious duck. I'm super excited to try this recipe in the winter months to come.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't think I have ever cooked duck at home. It is so tied up with restaurants in my mind. But now you have me thinking about something to buy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the fact that this is an oven meal with little or no fuss. The "Thinker" (on Mike's Culinary Lens post) probably agrees -- it gives him more time to think! :) Thanks for this recipe -- my hubby has been bugging me to make a duck dish. (And that wasn't a complaint.) :)

    ReplyDelete