Thursday, February 24, 2011

No-Cinnamon Apple Pie with Oat-Streusel

I know that most people simply love cinnamon. Around Christmas time in Germany, anything - be it chocolate, tea, cookies etc. - that has the word "Christmas" on it is sure to contain cinnamon. That's both annoying and convenient if you are one of the few people who, like me, can't stand the smell and taste of it. And although I don't have a very fine palate in general, I am the equivalent of a truffle pig for cinnamon. I can spot minuscule amounts in my food. So far, I have only met three other people who share that same dislike (all men, btw; I wonder whether that's somehow significant). I have to add that these detecting abilities of mine and my distaste of cinnamon do not concern savory foods. I gladly add the spice to Moroccan food, Moussaka or whenever required. Luckily, for baked goods there is a tasty alternative - All Spice. So here is the cinnamon-free all-spice-infused apple pie. If however you do love cinnamon, feel free to substitute it for the all spice. .....Ok, here it is to all you cinnamon lovers out there: My HubbyGrouch just tried the pie and his first comment was: "It needs cinnamon!"


Ingredients:
1 pie crust (preferably homemade)
1/4 cup old-fashioned oats

filling:
3 big Honeycrisp apples, cut into 1/4 -inch-thick pieces
2 tbsp all-purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp ground allspice

streusel
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup brown sugar
3/4 tsp ground allspice
1 stick butter
1/2 cup old-fashioned oats

Preaheat oven to 400°F. Place pie crust on a piece of plastic wrap, sprinkle with oats, and place a second piece of plastic wrap on top. Roll oats into crust. Crust should be a 12-13 inch round. Remove top wrap and place crust oat-side down in 9 inch glass pie dish. Toss all ingredients for filling and let stand while preparing the streusel. Blend flour, sugar, and allspice in food processor. Blend in butter. Add oats and blend in briefly. Transfer filling to crust, sprinkle streusel evenly over. Bake pie until topping is golden, about 20-30 minutes. Reduce temperature to 350°F and bake pie for 1 hour until the apples are tender. Cover pie with foil if it is browning too quickly. Cool pie on rack and serve warm or at room temperature.






No comments:

Post a Comment