Saturday, February 26, 2011

HubbyGrouch's Favorite Oatmeal Raisin Cookies

As I have stated before, I really, really, really don't like cinnamon. But my HubbyGrouch does, so I make these delicious cookies for him whenever he asks me to. As with most pastry recipes I come across, I reduce the amount of sugar given in the description by 25-30%. I love cookies and cakes but they shouldn't be too sweet. This is something that really puts me off here. Most pastry (and even bread) have way too much sugar. I mean, who wants to put salami on sweet-tasting bread. To me, that tastes simply disgusting. I could of course write a whole essay on how (most) American bread just triggers my up-chuck reflex. I must admit though that during 4 years in this country I have come across some breads I like. In my area, there are 2 really good bakeries and I even found 2 kinds of bread I like in the supermarket. Okay, enough ranting, let's get back to the cookies. I had to convert this recipe from the metric system to US units (pfft, your system doesn't even have a name), as the inhabitants of this vast country won't adopt it. (And why can't you, I want to know. Even the traditional, conservative Brits did!).


Ingredients:
2 to 2 1/4 cups flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 dash of salt
2 sticks margerine
1 cup sugar
2 tbsp molasses
2 large eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 tbsp orange juice
3 cups old-fashioned oats
1 cup raisins

Mix flour, baking soda, cinnamon and salt. In another bowl, whisk margarine until creamy. Add sugar and molasses, then the eggs. Finally, stir in vanilla and juice. Slowly add flour mixture to get a smooth dough. Carefully mix in oats and raisins. Drop 2 inch balls of dough onto parchment lined baking sheets, about 3 inches apart. Bake at 320°F in middle of oven for 10-15 minutes until golden-brown. Makes 40 to 50 cookies.

1 comment:

  1. LOL! Your rant about american bread reminds me of my rants about german bread! I love the sourdough rye bread, but all the german breads here are a bit too tough in my opinion, so I miss my soft fluffy american breads. haha. I suppose its a matter of what you're used to. I've actually no idea why we refuse to use the metric system, I suppose its simply because we have one that suits us fine (and we're lazy!) I still use my american measuring tools here in germany, though I'm attempting to acquire metric.

    ReplyDelete