Sunday, February 27, 2011

Himbeertraum ("Raspberry Dream")

This is one of HubbyGrouch's favorite desserts. It's super simple, too. On the other hand it is not exactly a light one. Just invest a few minutes in the preparation and find out for yourself how it got it's name.

(This recipe is linked to Tastetastic Thursday)


Ingredients:
2-3 oz meringue, coarsely smashed
12 oz frozen raspberries
1 1/2 cups heavy cream, whipped

Put the meringue in a large (glass) bowl, top with the frozen raspberries. Some recipes now tell you cover it with the cream and put it in the fridge for several hours until the raspberries are thawed; and then to gently fold everything together just before serving. This will leave the meringue rather crunchy. I prefer a smoother version. I put the raspberry-meringue bowl in the microwave at low power, so the berries thaw quicker and release their juice better. Put the bowl in the fridge for 1-2 hours, so the meringue take up the juice and get soft. Then gently fold in the whipped cream and serve immediately.

6 comments:

  1. This sounds delicious and simple. Would you suggest sahne in place of the heavy cream? I've actually yet to find the german equivalent to heavy cream, I just kind of change it from recipe to recipe. And by meringue, are we talking meringue cookies?

    ReplyDelete
  2. @ rhmyeswiththyme: I think if you add Sahnesteif to the regular Schlagsahne, that might the equivalent of heavy whipping cream (but I am not sure). As for the meringue, yes those are meringue cookies (usually called Baiser in Germany).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmm..I'll have to check that out. I've never heard of Sahnesteif, but I'm sure its there somewhere. I'm ever the unobservant shopper, so I've probably stared right at it. And thank you for helping me out! I think this recipe could be good with other fruits as well. I think I'll make this for my hubby in the next weeks. Vielen dank!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You can use regular Schlagsahne as well (it's like the regular whipping cream, I think). Sahnesteif is a powder that you will usually find in the baking needs section of the supermarket. Close to gelatine, vanilla sugar and things like that. It just makes the whipped cream hold it's shape longer than it usually would.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yea, I poked my hubby about the Sahnesteif when he got home from work and he told me what it was. Thank you! I'll be sure to take a peek at Kaufland for it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I believe this is what the English call Eton Mess, right?
    Thanks so much for linking up at A Little Nosh!

    ReplyDelete